DIY | Pom Pom Garland

2:04 PM


Hello friends! One wall in my room was feeling a little bare so I decided to use some yarn I have stored and make some garland to spruce it up a bit! It's a super simple project that is perfect for some free time on the weekend [like today!] here's what you'll need.


1. Different colors of yarn   2. Scissors   3. Embroidery Thread   4. Sewing Needle


First, hold the end of the yarn with your thumb and wrap the yarn loosely around your fingers. Depending on how many fingers you use, the poms will be different sizes [two fingers would give you small poms] Make sure you wrap it a bunch of times, the more yarn, the puffier the pom poms!


Once you get to the amount of yarn you like, carefully slip it off your fingers and make sure to not unwind it.


Cut a 4in-6in piece of yarn and lay the yarn you've wrapped on top of the piece of 4-6in yarn. You'll be using this to tie the yarn.


Make sure you tie it really tight, otherwise your pom will be uneven and you'll be able to see where you tied the yarn in the middle.


Cut the "loops" of the yarn ball and fluff the yarn so it's now in the shape of a ball.


Trim up your pom so that it's even all around. This gets a little messy so I don't recommend doing it on your bed like I did :]


Make as many pom poms as you want. I ran out of yellow yarn so my garland strand ended up being a little short. No worries though, it's supper easy to go back and add more once I get more yellow yarn :]


Time to strand your pom poms! Embroidery thread is already pretty strong but just to be safe, I doubled my thread.


Thread the needle through the center of each pom, making sure you went through the tied part and it's not going to fall off. Strand them all and space them equally. Tie loops at each end of the thread and hang on your wall or where ever you want!


Ta-Da! The perfect accent to any wall. Once I get more yellow yarn and make mine longer my wall will look super cute! If you try this out, I'd love to see the finished product! Be sure to leave me a link! Happy crafting!

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. This is so cute! I've seen pom-pom flowers, but I'm digging the garland you made even more! Great job! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww so pretty! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling DIY project! I am so not handy with a needle and thread, but this looks like something even I can do! (and I LOVE the colors you picked.) Thanks for sharing, and for your sweet comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a great DIY af lovely colours too.

    Zoe

    http://blessedbeeapothecary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute idea! I love little garlands for something extra on a wall/ceiling. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are ADORABLE!
    I think I'll make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it looks so pretty above your frames! I love it^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I think I'm going to try this...

    PS- Thank you for visiting my blog! I'm following you :) Cute blog!

    xx Che'Lyssa at Lily Love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is really nifty! I might try it sometime, although I can be a little clumsy with my hands (and will probably end up cutting my figners off).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you know you have me all in a tizzy about pom-poms now? My friend Lisa (goodknits.com) went on a pom-pom binge a while ago and I loved seeing the photos. Tis the season!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this. Finally! A craft I think I can actually manage :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog...I LOVE this DIY...I saw a similar post elsewhere but you needed a certain weird pom pom making plastic tool thing that I was not interested in buying. I want to try it now!
    -JD
    http://janettethejongleur.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness. I love this idea! I think I might have to make some this weekend with the skeins and skeins of yarn I have all over the place :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh boy, this is super cute! thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today...you're right, we have a lot of similar craft tastes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maureen KirchdoerferJanuary 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM

    I love it!!!! I just did this, only using t-shirts...but now I want to use the yarn!  Great tutorial :)
    I found your awesome blog via the Who's Crafty Blog Hop!!!
    -Maureen...Release Me Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey - cute! What kinda yarn did you use? Wool, cotton, acrylic...? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison