DIY | Tree Branch Art

1:00 PM


Hello there! I'm here today to show you a super simple art tutorial that is sure to brighten up any room in your house... anyone can do this, I don't care if you can paint like Monet or a kindergartner, this project is for you! Take a look...


Step One: First, you need to gather up all your supplies. For this, you will need a canvas [or two, or three] I chose to use three separate canvases for a different feel. It doesn't matter what size you choose, anything will work. You will also need paint, brushes, painter's tape, a tarp or trash bags, and scissors. Step Two: Lay down your tarp or trash bags so that you don't get paint every where. Start by brushing a base coat down all over the canvases. You could skip this step if you want the branches to be white but I wanted them to be a cream color. Allow that to dry for a few hours. Step Three: Using the painter's tape, make long strips across the canvas and cut smaller pieces so it begins to look like branches. Make sure it's pressed down really well so that paint doesn't get under it as much as possible. Step Four: Using three different paint colors, paint sections of the canvas in different colors. It doesn't have to be symmetrical. In fact, it looks better if the sections are uneven. Let that dry for several more hours. Step Five: Once the paint is completely dry, remove the tape carefully. You should now have a canvas full of tree branches! Some of the paint will inevitably get under the tape but it just gives it a bark-look and looks natural. You could stop at this point, but I'm going to keep going. Step Six: Take your canvases outside and put the tarp/trash bags on the ground. This part could get a little messy so I don't suggest wearing your favorite flats like I did :] Step Seven: Using an accent paint, flick paint all over the canvases. This will give it just a little bit of texture and make your masterpiece even more intriguing. Step Eight: Let it dry and then hang! You are now an artist!


Go ahead! Try it! I promise you won't be disappointed!

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Cute! I would love to try it with a wall too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously glad I read this post AFTER I went to the craft store yesterday. I have WAYYY too many projects going on and this one looks like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this project so much - think I will add it to my very long list of DIY projects and a "grateful monday" links this week. Your blog is super cute - keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm seriously in love with this piece. it is so cool and beautiful. maybe i shall try this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! May I know the colors you used? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used a cream to cover the base canvas...and for the tree backgrounds I used dark dark brown, sage green, and tan. For the flecks of paint I used a gold/copper paint. All acrylic.
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg thank you for replying! :) I love this color combos that you used! It looks great! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison