it's a documentary kind of day

8:17 AM

I'm making my way through my Instant Que on Netflix and thought I'd watch the two documentaries I had on there first. So here's what I've been watching...


disneynature oceans. I absolutely loved Disneynature's Earth so I figured I needed to watch Oceans at some point too. Lucky for me, it ended up on Netflix so I had to hit play. Nobody is a better commentator than good old James Earl Jones but I decided to give Pierce Brosnan a try [did you know he is the narrator?] First off, did you know that narwhals are real!?!? I didn't! Geesh! The Ocean is so interesting. I'd love to be able to swim under water, eyes open, no need for air. Did you know that if hatched during the day, only 1 in a THOUSAND baby sea turtles make it to the ocean alive? When I was in Jamaica, we witnessed baby sea turtles hatch and crawl out to see. We were huddled around them the whole way. No bird had a chance of getting anywhere near us. It's so crazy to think that they all had a chance of life because we just happened to be there. Anyways, it's an awesome movie and really interesting. I'd definitely watch it if you're bored some day.

the cove. I can't even begin to tell you how much this movie changed my life. I have always dreamed of being a graphic designer for a non-profit agency but I always figured I'd have to work my way up until I found one. After watching this movie, I've decided that I will never work for a company that isn't trying to better the world. I will free lance until I find a worthy company if I have to. This movie is hard to stomach, especially as an animal lover. It follows a group of dolphin activists as they try and uncover the shocking abuse that dolphins go through. It talks about how dolphins in captivity [like Sea World] are fed medicine daily because they get ulcers from the stress they are constantly in. I will have to research more on this topic because it wasn't the main focus of the movie but I think I'm going to have a hard time going back to any aquarium that has dolphins. The majority of the story is about Japanese fisherman who literally slaughter dolphins for a living. It's not even for the meat which was astonishing to me. Dolphin meat is full of mercury so it sells for very little money. The reason they are killing these poor animals is because they are actually viewed as "pests". I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that. Because dolphins eat the fish that fishermen are trying to catch they slaughter these beautiful animals. I could go on and on about this movie but I don't want to tell you the whole story. You need to see it for yourself. If there was ever a movie review of mine that made you want to get up and rent the movie, please let it be this one. And all you Netflix users out there, please just take an hour and a half of your time to flip this movie on. You'll be in tears.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I watched a segment *ABOUT* the cove on a news broadcast once. It was so hard to watch that I couldn't watch the real documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the cove. It was heart-wrenching! I want everyone I know to see it! It's so sad. :( Those poor dolphins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wanted to check out disney's oceans...i will do so this weekend while i sew ;D

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think i'm not brave enough to watch the cove.. :(:( I knew what it was- about the Japanese fishermen killing dolphins.. but I didn't know it was b/c the dolphins eat their fish!!!!!! argh! it makes me so mad!!
    another subject I am very against about is the killing of baby seals in Canada for their fur. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started to watch Oceans yesterday and am in the middle of it ! I'll be finishing it today when I finish my other documentary as well...oh and "studying" !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly want to watch Oceans but the Cove I can not sit and watch that. I cried just watching Food Inc. so I know I will be a mess if I watch the Cove. I'm to much of a animal lover. Thank you for the review.

    Cheers
    Missy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison