the ultimate road trip...

8:27 AM


Mike and I love road trips. It's not really the destination that makes it fun, it's the adventures you have on the way. I'm also not a beach lover since the sun and I don't get along so well so when it came to choosing and planning a honeymoon we knew exactly what we wanted to do :] 

Yes, Mike and I will be traveling down old Route 66 all the way from Chicago, IL to Los Angeles, CA! We're very excited about it and want to make sure it's perfect so we've already started researching a few things like major attractions [I plan on stopping at every single huge yarn ball we pass haha] So, I figured it would only help the planning process to share with you guys!!!

Day One & Two: Chicago, IL
The plan is to start the trip off by staying for two nights in Chicago. It's one of my favorite places and I definitely wouldn't mind walking around for two days and taking it all in again. We would stay at a nicer hotel and start off the honeymoon with a little relaxation before our big adventure as a married couple

Day Three: Chicago to Springfield, IL
Bright and early on day three we'd get up, grab some breakfast on Michigan Avenue and then hit the road for Springfield, IL. On the way we'll pass through/by Chicago Land, the very first Dairy Queen ever built in the country, the Route 66 Raceway [hopefully we pass by when an event is going on], and the Launching Pad Drive-In with their giant spaceman statue.


Day Three: Springfield, IL to St. Louis, MO
From what I've found, the stretch from Springfield, IL to St. Louis should be a pretty quick one. I haven't found many stops that caught my eye but I'm sure we'll find something along the way.

Day Three & Four: St. Louis to Springfield, MO
We'll continue on through Springfield, IL and pass through the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge, stop in at Ted Drewes' Frozen Custard stand, Devil's Elbow, and then possibly stay at the Munger Moss Inn depending on the time of day before heading on to Springfield, MO

Before heading out for another day on the road we'll stop at historic Wrink's Market for some snacks. I'm sure all of my crafty/fashionable/artsy readers know what's in Springfield, MO... Red Velvet Art!!! I will finally get to stop at one of my favorite blogger's vintage shop! I am so excited for this part of the trip. I have a feeling I will get super star struck and Mike will have to do all the talking if I get to meet Elsie.

We will pass through Joplin to get to Kansas which will be very bittersweet with everything that has been happening over there weather wise. I truly hope by August of 2012 things have gotten much better in Joplin. It breaks my heart to think about what all they went through and would be tough to drive through and see the wreckage :/

Day Four & Five: Springfield to Oklahoma City, OK
Kansas only has 13.2 miles of the old Route 66 but from what I've seen, it seems pretty jam packed with history! We'll stop in at the Eisler Brothers Old RIverton Food Market for some snacks again, then cross over the last Marsh Rainbow bridge still standing on Route 66.

Onward through Oklahoma, we'll drive through Miami [pronounced my-am-ah] and see the old Coleman Theatre, then through Totem Pole Park, and then have a picnic by the Blue Whale. After that, we'll pass through Tulsa and into Chandler where we might want to stop at one of the historic motels like Lincoln Motel or the Skyliner Motel for a rest.

Then it's on to Oklahoma City! We'll stop by the Capital building for a few before heading past a giant milk bottle [picture op anyone?]. Then past the Golden Geodesic Dome, Western Trading Post, the Classic Club with its giant James Dean mural on the wall [one of Mike's favorite people], the Will Rogers Theater, Ann's Chicken Fry House where there is an Elvis mural on the wall as well as a Pink Cadillac, and a few historic motels for just a picture or two

Day Five: Oklahoma City to Amarillo, TX
Texas will be another short drive but I'm definitely excited to see Cadillac Ranch and maybe add some of my own artwork to the cars!


Day Five: Amarillo to Albuquerque, NM
Through New Mexico, we'll pass through the ghost town of Glenrio where only animals and tumbleweed now reside, as well as a few other Wild West towns like Dodge City, Deadwood, and Tombstone. I have a feeling a lot of photos will come from this stretch. Passing through Albuquerque, we'll see tons of neon lights and stay in one of the famous motels.


Day Six: Albuquerque to Flagstaff, AZ
There are lots of interesting places to stop for food in Arizona as we pass through the Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, and then on to the city of Seven Wonders, Flagstaff, Arizona. Flagstaff is surrounded by the Grand Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon, Walnut Canyon, Wupatki National Monument, Sunset Crater National Monument, and the San Francisco Peaks. I am so excited to get to see the Grand Canyon.

We'll grab some food at another one of the many drive ins along Old Route 66 before heading to the last stretch of road. Depending on the time and how tired we are, we might find another motel to stay at for the night before heading to California.


Day Seven: Flagstaff to Santa Monica, CA
Just across the border is a huge sign welcoming travelers to Needles, California. We'll pass through Barstow and stop at some interesting diners before making our way to the City of Angels. I don't think I'll like California much. At least not Los Angeles. Like I said before, I'm not much of a fun-in-the-sun type of person and really have no interest in gawking over celebrities, but just so I can say I've done it, we'll have to head over to Hollywood Boulevard. I hate the Dodgers, but I love baseball so stopping by Dodger stadium is a must.

I'll try my luck at the beach in Santa Monica before spending the night in a nicer hotel. Luckily for us, depending on when we leave for the trip, we might end up in Santa Monica on a Sunday which just so happens to be the night of "Jazz on the Lawn" at City Hall. Win. We haven't decided how long we'll stay in California before heading back but I can't imagine it would be more than 1-2 nights.

We are taking a different route home which I will tell you about in a different post [I don't want to completely talk your ear off] but just a sneak peek of sorts, we're equally excited about stops on the drive back :]

Do you have any suggestions on cool sites to hit on the way down or how to make sure it's an awesome road trip? I'd love feedback! Also, if you live in one of the cities we'll be traveling through, I have gotten permission from Mike to stop and meet blog pals!!! Best guy ever!
***state images found via***

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. This sounds like SO much fun! I love road trips as well (: Y'all are going to have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun!  This is the exact kind of trip I would like to take.  People always want to go to the beach and relax.  I just want to get in the car and go everywhere!  :-)  I can't wait to hear all about your trip!  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the little state images that accompany your writing. Did you create them yourself? They are fantastic! xo. I hope you have a fun time on your trip!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I got them from a Route 66 travel guide. I need to link up. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like SO MUCH FUN!
    I can recommend this book:
    Road Trip USA: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598801015/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thoscrazschu-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217153&creative=399349&creativeASIN=1598801015

    I live in L.A. and I can *definitely* recommend some non-beach, non-celebrity outings for you!

    Have fun!
    xo
    -A
    amy@lemonandraspberry.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll be passing right thru my home town of Tulsa!! The Blue Whale is a must, plus there are a few small restaurants and fun little shops on the Route 66/11th street that passes righ thru town.
    Also, when you're passing through Arcadia (near OKC), you should stop at Pops. It's a gas station/convienence store that carries over 400 types of soda. Must see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea!! road trips are so awesome! i am hoping to get one in this summer if i can! 

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have to go to 3rd street promenade around dusk in Santa Monica. There are street performers galore up and down that strip. So fun. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. holly pipers this is crazy!! how fun and you'll get to meet Elsie I can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! I absolutely love road trips and it looks like you guys will have an epic time! And you're passing through some of my 'neck of the woods' while you're in Missouri. Springfield has a lot of cute shops downtown (I still haven't made it to Red Velvet but I do love the blog). As for Joplin, I have high hopes that a lot will be taken care of over the summer. I plan on doing volunteer work there along with some friends. It is absolutely amazing to see how many people from surrounding areas and even those from out-of-state that have jumped in to help that town out.

    Oh, and one last thing. If you're into road side attractions the biggest rocking chair is up around St. Louis. Every time I head that way, no one in the car will ever stop for it, but one day I will see it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds SO fun! I drove from Michigan to Orange County when I moved to California. It was quite the adventure, I would definitely do it again! I missed out on Springfield but I definitely thoughy about stopping there to check out Red Velvet. I'd be star struck meeting Elsietoo. :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've taken this route before from Chicago to Flagstaff AZ.  It's quite a trip but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! you're making it to Arizona! The first DQ might be in Illinois, but the best one is in Flagstaff (so my husband says--he grew up there). That sounds like an awesome honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This seems like an AWESOME trip! I"m a tad jealous. Ha. 

    I'm not a beach person at all either but LA is pretty cool. And Santa Monica is pretty awesome. They have some interesting shops. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun!  Can't wait to hear about it.  Maybe your trip will become a new "guide" for all of us that want to do this ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is going to be such a blast!!  I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where did you find all your info about roadside attractions etc??
    I'm planning a roadtrip too this Summer, tho I'm sticking closer to the Canadian border.. 
    Would love to know where you got your info from!!

    Stop by my post http://cazmonkeysaround.blogspot.com/2011/05/summer-road-trip.html or drop me an email if you have time!  cazmonkeysaround AT gmail DOT com :)

    Thanks!!
    caz 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison