Blogsitters | Allister Bee

8:00 AM


Hi everyone!!! Today Mike and I are waking up early to head back out on the road to Minneapolis/St.Paul in hopes of getting there will time to explore before calling it a night. According to my maps app on my iPhone we have a 7 hour drive in front of us. Knowing me, and my random desires to stop for photo ops, it could end up taking 10 hours :] So we better get going!

Today's blog sitter is Miss Paislea Elyse from Allister Bee Blog. Paislea has some mad decorating sense and she's here to show you a tutorial she found in the blogosphere on how to spruce up your nest!




Hi there! my name is paislea and I have been invited to do a guest post for Allison while she is enjoying a getaway to the Twin Cities. I was so excited that she presented this opportunity to me and i just couldn't give it up.

To give you a tiny overview of myself -  I created the blog allister bee in February of 2010.  I started the blog for more as a hobby and something to keep me busy while I have down time at work. I never knew the amazing opportunities and exciting things that a blog could bring to me: new friendships, wonderful tutorials, fun giveaways and more! I can easily [and proudly] say that I am addicted to blogging. There hasn't been a time period where I have left my blog alone for more than a few days at a time. ever. and i don't feel that will ever happen.

But to get to the fun diy that i have put together for you, we will continue...

I have been completely in love with the idea of having tons of plants around the home. Living in Utah it seems to be the trend to go to ikea to furnish your home. Now, don't get me wrong - I do love ikea. I love their cute fabrics and trendy layouts. And they do have a lovely selection of plants, but it feels like every home in utah sports the same plants. The same. potted. plants.

I am one that likes to try new things. Search for new ideas and be unique. So when i saw these Japanese string gardens, i completely fell in love. I had never seen anything remotely like this and knew that one day, I would have some in my home. these plants, called "kokedama" or "Japanese moss balls" would look great in any home but the price to purchase one is a bit higher than I would like. You can feast your eyes on the original moss balls on this site. 

I was lucky enough to come across a great tutorial that I want to share with all of you. It is quick and easy and a lot of fun. If you have a fiance, children, roommate, whatever - this is a fun weekend activity that everyone will enjoy.

Photobucket
[via]

Photobucket
[via]

Photobucket
via

Photobucket
[via]

materials needed:

1. a tiny, shadow loving plant.
2. a 7:3 ratio of peat soil and akedama, or bonsai soil3. dry sphagnum moss
4. cotton thread
5. scissors
6. packing string [twine, hemp, etc]
7. gloves
8. glass of water
9. moss

instructions:

1. Shake off as much soil from the roots of your ity-bity plant, being careful but thorough.

Photobucket

2. Mix your peat and akedama soil. You will be able to tell that the consistency is perfect when you are able to make a small ball from the dirt without it breaking apart.
 
Photobucket

3. Now that your soil is mixed, start shaping it into a small, orange-sized ball. Use a little bit of water if needed. 
 
Photobucket

4. Make sure each ball has enough room to accommodate the roots of your plant.
 
Photobucket

5. Take a bunch of dry sphagnum moss and wrap it carefully around the roots, making a circular and compact shape. Then tie the cotton string around it several times. This will eventually dissolve.
 
Photobucket

6. Make a small hole in your soil ball, and gently press the plant inside it. Be careful to ìcloseî the shape back to a sphere.
 
Photobucket

7. Now it is time for the fun part: take small sheets of moss and press them firmly into the soil. Donít leave any open spaces. Wrap the twine string around the ball leaving the sides as long as needed.
8. Choose a shady place, install a hook and hang your wonderful sphere of moss.
Photobucket
[Note:  To maintain, water the kokedama with a mist spray bottle once a day. Try to do this early in the morning, to mimic the ëdewí effect. ]


well everyone, I hope you enjoyed that tutorial as much as i did. i wish you the most lovely day and hope to see you around allister bee soon! ?

always,
paislea elyse

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. What the what, these are AWESOME!!! And you're from Utah too?! How cool. There are more of us Utahans blogging than I knew. ;) Thank you for this tut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is pretty awesome...it doesn't drip on the floor or anything??? hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! Now I wish I still lived in a loft - those would look great suspended from the high ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, wow. how amazing! I can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison