6:53 PM


I'm sure I've talked about it on here before, but just in case you don't know this about me, I'll fill you in. I'm in school at Miami University for Architecture. But the funny/sad thing is, I don't plan on going into architecture when I graduate. In fact, at this point, after I graduate I never want to look at another drafting table or floor plan again. Ok, maybe that's not true but I'm three and a half years in and about at my limit. About half way through Sophomore year I realized architecture wasn't for me and I wanted to do graphic design. But I had so many course credits that wouldn't transfer to anything and the graphic design program required 8 semesters of studio so there was no way I would graduate in 4 years like I planned. And Oxford just isn't a place I wanted to be for anymore than I had planned. So I stuck it out.

You can imagine how frustrating this might be, especially since the school I am going to is rather expensive. One of the worst in the state. But three years ago when architecture is what I wanted to do, my options on in-state schools was pretty slim. Now graphic design schools? They are everywhere... but that's beside the point. Some of the things that go through my head through out the day while in architecture school?

Now don't worry, this isn't a huge negative Nancy post... I'm going somewhere with this...

It's so easy for me to get overwhelmed with architecture. I just don't have the drive the other students do because I don't enjoy what I'm doing. Tell me to paint a picture and I'll do it with a huge smile on my face. But architecture school? It just makes me want to scream most of the time. I have to take a step back and realize that had it not been for Miami, Oxford, and Architecture school, I wouldn't be where I am today.

My freshman level architecture classes required e to purchase Photoshop and the complete Adobe Creative Suite. Had it not been for that class, I would have never taken the time to teach myself all the awesomeness that is Photoshop and Illustrator. I wouldn't have spent hours and hours pouring through tutorials online and making posters for no reason at all.

Had it not been for architecture, I wouldn't have had the skills to get my very first Graphic Design job on campus. I wouldn't have had the opportunity to strengthen my skills with REAL designs and I wouldn't have gotten to work with Apple Inc. on their advertising.

If it weren't for Miami, how knows how my art skills would be today. Looking back on paintings, drawings, and even my graphic design it's unbelievable how much I've grown in three and a half years. It's almost embarrassing looking back on old artwork.

If it weren't for architecture, I wouldn't have such a problem-solver type of personality. Yeah, I was crafty before school... but just like everything else, my ability to see a project in my head is crazy. Give me a knife, some wood, and string and I bet I could make you anything :]

So as easy as it is to get frustrated and want to quit, I don't know where I would be without architecture. I'm half way through my second to last semester ever and it feels great! Good and bad, it's the experiences that make you who you are. Don't forget that, guys :]

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Great post! Sometimes we do find that what we thought we wanted, isn't what we're destined for at all, but good or bad, these experiences always teach us something a little about ourselves =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sorry you hate your school, but its awesome you are keeping positive about it.  i felt the same way when i was in the army, but it was where i met my husband and without him i would never have gotten my two daughters and dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. I realize everybody I love or know well has had a sinuous (Daes this word exist in English?) trip through life. It made them interesting, more understanding and rich in so many ways. Courage for the time that remains to your graduation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison