a really special design...

I've been hard at work the past few weeks on a really special project that came to a close Saturday night. A few weeks ago, right around New Years Eve, a fellow Springboro alumni hockey player died in a car accident. He was a good friend of Mike's and was also so nice to me in school. The whole community took it really hard because Andy was such an amazing guy. The hockey community, however, really came together in the tragedy.

Talk of a memorial alumni game quickly started to travel across social media and text and within days I was hard at work trying to come up with some poster designs to get the information out there. We hadn't even planned out details, I just knew I wanted this even to be huge



I've never gotten a design finished so quickly before in my life. I'm a quick designer, but this one had no changes made to it other than text. Crazy. I was just really proud of the design, especially because of what it was for. After I finished the poster and printed some out for flyers, I thought my work was done. Turned out, everyone loved the design so much they wanted to have tshirts and other things made for the event and for me to design them. I started brainstorming on a logo for Andy and the night. Andy was number 11 and had the initials "AB". It seemed perfect and the design just started to fall together...


I just LOVE the shirts. They actually sold out before the game was over and people started back ordering them. I was so unbelievably excited and surprised. I had to order one and won't have it for a few weeks but Mike and my brother were wearing theirs around all Sunday. I love the logo on the front hip instead of the traditional breast placement. I think it's more fashion savvy ;-)

Mike's dad had buttons made for Andy's family members with the logo as well as memorial hockey pucks with the logo. It was so surreal seeing my designs all over the place and on everyone's backs at the alumni game.


Mike's old hockey coach headed up the pre-game ceremony by talking about Andy and what a great and fun guy he was. He announced all the alumni players in order of seniority. Mike was actually on the very first hockey team at Springboro so we was one of the first to be announced. I was a proud fiance. 
I actually was out on the ice [over there on the right] for the ceremony as well in order to present two of my posters that had been signed by the players to Andy's mom and dad. It was such a bittersweet time. We were all so sad to have to be having this memorial game, yet, we were full of pride celebrating such an amazing life.



There was such a huge alumni showing. Both teams we packed. For being in the middle of a semester, it was amazing to see how many people took the time to come back home for this event. Not only were there tons of players, the arena was jam packed with fans in the audience. There wasn't s single open space along the glass and the bleachers were completely full for the ceremony. The hockey community never ceases to amaze me with its brotherhood.


As one of the very first captains of Springboro hockey, Mike got to do the ceremonial puck drop with Andy's dad. Those boys played their hearts out and had people who had never been to a hockey game before turned into fanatics. It was a great night.

I was so happy to hear that this event isn't going to be a one time thing. It's officially now an actual foundation and all proceeds for this event and every year after will go to a scholarship in Andy's name for kids who wouldn't normally be able to afford hockey. My designs are going to be made into hats, stickers, patches, etc. and are going to be around for a long time. I can't tell you how rewarding that is. This has made me love design even more and I can't wait to sport my t-shirt around when it comes in :]

1 comment

  1. This is so sweet. It's such a beautiful and thoughtful design that you made for him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison