Featured Sponsor Interview | The Orange Windmill

1:47 PM

 1. Tell us a little about yourself and your blog
Hi! My name is Shirley, I a 29 year old from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I am a wife and a mom to 2 fantastic kids. I own the creative business The Orange Windmill where I sell leather journals and hardcover notebooks. I also run the blog Trees.Hides., where I post artist features, creative inspiration, linky parties, family posts and occasional goofiness. So you can see that it's sort of a mish-mash of all different kinds of topics, but I think it all works together fairly well. I have been blogging since 2009, but this year I began to blog with a better designed purpose, and I've got to tell you, I'm loving the response!

2. What are 5 words to describe yourself?

Organized, an optimist, an aspiring seamstress, an avid tea lover, and boring (according to my husband). 


3.What made you want to join the blogging community?

I started blogging because I wanted to showcase my work in a different setting from Facebook. Then I thought it would be cool if I could also feature other artists' work, and other inspiring pictures, articles, etc. And when my gramma knew I was starting a blog, she told me I had to write about my kids too - with lots of pictures, of course - since we don't get to see her all that often.
At the end of last year, I decided that I wanted a more clear purpose to my blog, so I set scheduled themes for scheduled days, and it's gone uphill from there! 
4. What are your favorite things to blog about? Any memorable posts? (include links)


My absolute favourite things to blog about are the artist features. That part of my reason to blog has not diminished over the years. I love love LOVE being able to show off someone else's remarkable work! It's so hard to pick favourites, because every artist that I feature is someone that I have found and chosen to feature (even if some have requested that feature).
I will say, though, that a few weeks ago, I posted a video from Johnny & Chachi, where they sang "The Don't Song", which is a hilariously sarcastic song about marriage and what the man's job is in a marriage. I just love the excruciatingly ugly wigs, the fake teeth; it's the bees knees!
5. When you're not blogging, what are you doing?

I'm a full-time mom right now (which will be changing in May as I go back to work), so currently I am wiping snotty noses, changing dirty diapers, doing loads and loads of laundry and cleaning, cooking horrible meals (I'm not much of a cook), and making journals when I have spare time.

6. What inspires you?


I really find this a difficult question to answer because there are so many things that inspire me creatively. But lately I have been really inspired by simple and clean living - so much so that my husband and I have completely changed the way we eat - as many whole foods as we can; and we are also pretty busy de-cluttering our home. It's amazing and crazy to see how much 'junk' people can acquire throughout their lives, and it feels so renewing to get rid of it!
7. If there was one piece of advice you could offer new bloggers out there, what would it be?

My one piece of advice to new bloggers would be to write about what you are passionate about. People can hear (read) it in your words if you don't believe in what you are saying.

8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Hopefully doing what I'm doing now. Obviously, my kids will be able to wipe their own snotty noses, and hopefully they will be potty trained by then! I would love to see my business growing larger and more successful as well. I look forward to spending more time with my husband of 8 years, Jeffery, as I continue to learn about him and his annoying habits. And I wouldn't mind if we were traveling across the sea to the Netherlands, my family's motherland.
9. Favorite blog reads? (include links) 

Besides Crafted Love? 
The Bloggess (who doesn't love her?)
None But Eagles - just reading Laura's blog makes me feel smarter.
10. If you could only listen to one song on repeat, what would it be?


"Per Te", sung by Josh Groban. It's such a heart-breakingly beautiful song! 

Find out more about Shirley with these links!!!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison