Foodie Challenge | Mandarin Chicken

My absolute favorite Chinese restaurant in the entire world recently shut down. Huge bummer. Not only were they my favorite, but they were the only Chinese restaurant within 50 miles who made my preferred dish, Mandarin Chicken. I was slightly devastated. I still am, to be honest.
 
After weeks and weeks of trying to find a new dish and even asking every chinese restaurant in town if they would make me some Mandarin Chicken, I gave up and decided I was just going to have to live without.
 
That was until a few nights ago, my friends. Yes, I changed history. Well, my mom changed history. I guess she got tired of hearing me complain about my beloved China Village and decided to search high and low on the internet for a comparable recipe.

She ended up finding a few recipes that had similar directions and sent them over to me. So, I decided to give it a try.


Ingredients:
  • 1 whole boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 4 equal pieces (1lb)
  • 1/2 pound of broccoli
  • can of water chestnuts
  • can of baby corn 
  • olive oil
  • vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 2/3 cup sugar (or less, according to taste)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions:
  1. Spray chicken breasts with vegetable oil spray and grill 4-6 minutes per side or until done. 
  2. Steam  broccoli in pot of water or in Microwave (I have a special microwave steamer)
  3. Chop chicken into bite size pieces, set aside (I put them in the warm microwave to keep hot)
  4. Combine sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, oil, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan.
  5. Heat over medium until sugar is dissolved, stirring often.
  6. Bring to boil.
  7. Combine cornstarch and water.
  8. Reduce heat and simmer 4-6 minutes or until sauce thickens.
  9. Combine a little olive oil, broccoli, drained water chestnuts, and drained baby corn into frying pan/wok and stir fry until the veggies are slightly sauteed.
  10. Pour chicken into frying pan/wok over medium heat. 
  11. Heat until chicken sizzles, then reduce heat and pour sauce over the chicken and veggie mixture.
  12. Heat through.
  13. Serve over white rice.


If I had done things differently I would have remembered to start the rice earlier. I also probably would add a little more corn starch to the sauce so it thickened up a little more. But I have to say, I think I nailed it. I was so surprised I was able to make the sauce so close to the original dish! And our wok.... I am in love. It's probably my favorite thing ever. I think one of my next purchases will be a rice cooker. You just can't beat Chinese restaurant rice. And I've been told you can get pretty darn close with a rice cooker. We shall see!


5 comments

  1. those are two things that we will be putting on out registry & Matt is so excited for them. I'll have to write that recipe down because he LOVES mandarin chicken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds healthier in your version than restaurant-style? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @4f23a3301356c8320276bc2dcccb0ae0:disqus It certainly tasted healthier!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound a lot healthier than the restaurant version :)

    A rice cooker is the most amazing thing in my kitchen...except MAYBE the crock pot.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. @google-13e91de8625b58e0ec600125490596db:disqus I'm serious, I think it's going to be my next purchase. Everything I hear about them is good. And if they can make rice comparable to Chinese restaurants, I'll be in heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison