The Five Year Plan

11:00 AM

Are you guys tired of my infographics yet? Well too bad :)

Before tying the knot, Mike and I sat down and had The Talk. No, not the one you have in junior high... the baby talk. We definitely didn’t want to jump right into starting a family, but how long were we thinking? We knew we wanted to enjoy our married life for a while before having the added responsibility of a kiddo. Not to mention the dent one would put on my party life! (I kid, I kid... or do I?) There were a lot of things we want to do in life that would be hindered once kids were thrown in the mix. So we settled on 3-5 years. (With me leaning heavily towards the 5 year mark.)

But then I started to think... there are some pretty big things I want to accomplish before babies. Things that I don’t know if I want to be restricted to 5 years to complete. Things like going abroad. This requires a lot of planning and saving and who knows when that will happen. All I know is it can’t happen very easily and carefree after kids. Enter the Baby List...

Similar to a bucket list, the Baby List is a slew of things we want to accomplish before starting a family. We decided this was a better way to gauge things not to mention more fun! So we combined my 24 before 25 list and Mike’s 30 before 30 list into one big monster of a Baby List.


Who knows how long this list will take to complete! Anyone else have a similar list?

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. What a great idea! Maybe I should do this, too. My husband and I each have different things we want to accomplish before we even think about starting a family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list!
    I'm nowhere near ready to have a bump or wedding but might feel a bit more prepared to if I had ticked things of a similar list! Now wheres my pen : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like having a list way more than any number of planned years of waiting. What if I didn't get something done in 5 years? What if I get them done in 2? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely approve of waiting a little while after being married to start having kids, and making a "baby list" is a pretty darn good idea! Although, I do have a kid, and I think that you'll realize not everything on this list is really something that has to get done before kids. Disney World just as a couple, I think is a good idea. Skydiving? Yes, definitely something to do before having kids. Bike riding? Just get a babysitter ;)

    Good luck with all your future plans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good idea, we are getting married in the fall and I think we would enjoy making a list like this even though we are eager to start a family, you need to focus on what needs to be done before you can do that. Thanks for the neat idea! :) Hope you're having a great weekend!
    -Sarah
    http://sarahvonspook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea, but I must tell you that none of these things can even compare to how incredible having a kid is. It's hands down the very best and most rewarding thing I've ever done. I waited 3 years after I got married and look back and wish I had only waited one. We did get a dog right away :)
    www.imperfectjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how you've made a list for the bump, because its sort of similar to mine (just with different resolutions).

    But for right now, David and I are actually trying for a baby this year. The only thing I want to check off my list is to successfully start my businesses from home and to get the entire house straightened. We already have a three year old and once he goes to school, I know I'll miss taking care of another little one for half the day, so why not?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison