Summer Reading List

10:22 AM

As Summer draws to a close, Mike and I have decided to start reading more and set a starting goal of reading one book a month. I'd really like to break my habit of getting home, plopping on the couch, and watching Netflix for hours on end. While I get a good workout in most days, I'm probably frying my brain with all the crappy horror movies I watch so I think it's time to make a change. My plan is to mainly read books that will improve some part of my life. Whether it's a business book, fitness book, money book, or just inspirational, I'd like to keep fiction to a minimum. So, to kick things off I thought I'd share what I'm reading now and what I plan to read in the weeks to come!

CURRENTLY READING...
The Little Blue Book of Advertising
These days, the fundamentals of advertising that truly build great brands are often overlooked. But Steve Lance and Jeff Woll are leading a back-to-what-works movement with The Little Blue Book of Advertising.

This is a short, fun-to-read, practical book designed to be read quickly and referred to again and again. Each of their fifty-two ideas relates to day-to-day problems with real examples, then provides an innovative, sometimes blunt solution.


NEXT ON THE LIST...
Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.
She has seen both these dreams come true.
At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon -- from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.
Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.

All marketers tell stories. And if they do it right, we believe them. We believe that wine tastes better in a $20 glass than a $1 glass. We believe that an $80,000 Porsche is vastly superior to a $36,000 Volkswagen that’s virtually the same car. We believe that $125 sneakers make our feet feel better—and look cooler—than a $25 brand. And believing it makes it true.
As Seth Godin showed in this controversial book, great marketers don’t talk about features or even benefits. Instead, they tell a story—a story we want to believe, whether it’s factual or not. In a world where most people have an infinite number of choices and no time to make them, every organization is a marketer, and all marketing is about telling stories.


PAST READS...

The classic (and irreverent) bestselling guide to creating great advertising. Hey Whipple, Squeeze This has inspired a generation of ad students, copywriters, and young creatives to make their mark in the industry. But students need new guidance to ply their craft now in the digital world. This new fourth edition explains how to bring brand stories into interactive, dynamic places online, in addition to traditional television, radio, print, and outdoor ads.

I have worked as a graphic designer for four years now, and I regret not reading this book earlier. You can learn about classic printed ads, as well as Facebook, Twitter and so on. Luke shares valuable tips and good advice, written in a humorous way. I would definitely recommend this book to everybody who wants to learn a bit more about advertising. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison