Eating In | Healthy Homemade Pizza

8:00 AM


We are on a roll with this whole eating in goal! I have to make sure we don't fizzle out and go back to our terrible ways. But if every meal could be as good as this one, I don't think I have much to worry about. After following Elise Blaha's 40 Pizzas series I just had to start making my own pizza. You can put so many crazy ingredients onto a pizza and it will still taste amazing. But for this first pizza, we decided to stay a little easy and not go all out on trying new things. On the grocery list for this pizza was organic free-range chicken breast, a Boboli whole wheat pizza crust, fresh spinach, fresh mozzarella balls in olive oils and herbs, Organic tomato sauce, Mrs. Dash tomato-basil-garlic seasoning, and home grown tomatoes from Mike's grandpa's garden.


Mike started off seasoning the tomato sauce with pepper and herbs just to give it a bit more flavor while I grilled up the chicken that had been marinating in olive oil and the Mrs. Dash seasoning. While that was grilling we slapped on the tomato sauce and added a layer of spinach. Then I sliced the mozzarella and layered it across the pizza. Once the chicken was cooked I put it on a plate to cool like I sliced up the tomatoes and covered the pizza. Finally, we diced up the chicken and sprinkled it on top.



Before tossing this puppy in the over I drizzled some olive oil over the top and added a bit more pepper for seasoning. Then it up off to the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees. While that cooked Mike and I watched the Bengals get defeated by the Bears. Not so fun. But at least I had a pizza waiting for me.


I honestly can't believe how good this pizza was. I could have eaten the whole thing by myself, though that would defeat the "Healthy" part of this title. So I held off. The one thing I would change next time is the crust. We wanted to bake our own, but thought we'd start small with the pre-cooked version. It was a little floppy after baking, however, and required some support while eating. My kind of pizza is the kind where you just hold it by the crust and dig in. I don't want scorching tomatoes falling into my lap, thanks. Next time I think we'll try conquering the crust as well. Does anyone know of any good recipes for pizza crust? I'm a big fan of the hand-tossed thickness but Mike loves thin crust. Really, I'm not very picky as long as it's pizza :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love making my own pizza, it always tastes so good and is so much better for you than take out!

    I buy pizza base mix from the store, it usually only requires a little hot water to get it going and you can get the wholewheat variety, which is scrumptious. My tip to avoid a 'floppy base' is to cook the base by itself until it just starts to brown, then add your toppings. Always works for me ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. trader joe's has pizza dough already mixed that you spread out and bake, it's really good! They have whole wheat also.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison