The Yellow Brick House | DIY Patio Table

 

If you follow me on Instagram, you probably saw that Mike and I were at it again with home projects this weekend. This time, I just couldn't stand to finish the weekend without having a patio table to enjoy the nice weather we had. First, I looked at places like Target, Home Depot, Lowes, even IKEA but the furniture was either insanely expensive, or looked like it would fall apart with even the slightest summer breeze. So, in true Affourtit fashion, we decided to DIY.

We hit up the local hardware store bright and early Saturday morning and got everything we needed and beat the crowds. I think my days of partying all night Friday are over until we get this house the way I want it.



Our shopping list included:
  • (2) 4"x4"x6' posts -- Cut down to four 29.5" pieces for legs
  • (5) 2"x4"x8' studs -- Cut down to five 38.5" pieces for table top structure
  • (7) 1"x6"x6' posts -- No cutting necessary
  • Outdoor wood stain
  • Outdoor wood paint (yellow)
  • Outdoor wood sealant
  • 3" wood screws
  • 1 1/2" wood screws
  • Wood filler/putty
Our tools list included things we already had in our garage:
  • Power drill
  • Circular saw
  • Power sander
  • Screwdriver
  • Sand paper
  • Paint brushes

I drew up our plan based on the fact that I didn't want to have to cut any of the 1x6s for the top. Those came in a 6ft length which is exactly how long we wanted the table and I knew I wanted seven boards across the top (because I'm anal and didn't want a crease in the middle--I wanted a board in the center of the table). We also wanted the table to seat 6 comfortably with the option of adding another chair to each side.






So we went to it and start cutting down the 2x4s and screwing them into place to create the structure of the table. Then we screwed in the top boards. We wanted the sides to be flush, but you could have overhang if you wanted, you would just need to rethink the math for the 2x4s. After the top of finished, we cut and screwed on the 4x4 legs and sanded them down until the table sat level. There was a bit of wobbling at first which we fully expected.



Next came the staining, painting, and sealing which I wasn't as good at photographing. I think at that point I was just ready to sit down at our new table and have an ice cold beer in celebration. We stained the top a medium wood color and didn't worry about getting it on the sides because we would be painting that yellow. After that dried we quickly painted the sides with two coats of yellow outdoor paint made specifically for wood furniture and/or decking. We let that dry for a few hours and then came back with the outdoor stain (also for wood decking).



Ta-da! Our new (super-sturdy) patio table! I joke with Mike that it looks like it came from a Mexican restaurant because of the color. It's still growing on me. I'm not positive I like the yellow. But the awesome thing about a solid wood table? I can just sand it down and re-finish it in a few weeks if I'm still unsure of the color. I started to think a forest green base would look really nice with the outdoors. What do you think?

2 comments

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison