Adventures in Gardening

10:09 AM



Last year I decided that since becoming a new homeowner, it was time to start a garden. Because that's what you do when you have a house, right? Well I had these grand dreams and expectations of planting organic tomatoes, bell peppers, jalepenos, and other veggies, harvesting them throughout the season, and then having a grand old time canning everything for the winter months. I mean, how hard could it be?

This is probably why I drive Mike so crazy with all my ideas. I never fully research before diving in.

So there I am, a total n00b in the gardening world, with $100 worth of starter veggie plants and supplies from Home Depot--I didn't even have the patience to grow them from seeds--ready to start my gardening adventure.

Long story short, I managed to kill every single one of those plants by June.
Some things I learned along the way?
  1. Do NOT plant three tomato plants together in a 3'x3' container. Even if it is a really cool, bottom wattering tomato cage container that probably cost upwards of $100. Just don't do it. Take the time to read up on tomato plants and figure out that tomato plants should actually be planted TWO FEET apart. Good gravy.
  2. Don't water said tomato plants every day. You WILL drown them. And they WILL die. Especially if it's already a unseasonably wet spring/summer.
  3. Don't then forget about the poor tomato plants when the weather randomly goes from hurricanes to drought. What little thread of life they were holding on to will certainly snap when they completely dry up and shrivel away. RIP tomato plants.
I did manage to get a handful of tomatoes out of the deal as well as several bundles of basil. The basil ended up lasting until the end of summer. But I inevitably forgot about it as well and it met it's demise.



I've learned a lot since then and this year, my garden thrived! Well, for the most part. I still haven't managed to keep a tomato plant alive throughout the whole season. This year, all the rain washed the nitrogen from the soil and my poor cherry tomato plant died once again. Next year I will be using organic bonemeal to add nitrogen back into the soil.

Carrots growing in one of my DIY raised beds, using the square foot method.

I've learned a lot since then and this year, my garden thrived! Well, for the most part. I still haven't managed to keep a tomato plant alive throughout the whole season. This year, all the rain washed the nitrogen from the soil and my poor cherry tomato plant died once again. Next year I will be using organic bonemeal to add nitrogen back into the soil.

Red bell peppers growing like crazy using my DIY sub-irrigation pots.


We've already started our second round of carrots and thy have started to sprout. We've gotten a TON of green beans from the one plant, and the amount of bell peppers and jalepenos we've harvested is unreal. Next year I will be sure to post more about the process and show off some of the DIYs we've done to make gardening easier and more fun.

Our first harvest of many!



I don't know what I'm going to do this winter when I can't garden! I will have to come up with another hobby to keep me occupied because I don't think indoor gardening is a viable option in our tiny home :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison