Our Latest "Creation"



You guys! I couldn't be more excited to announce that our family will be growing this year! This July, I will be graduating from fur-mom, to fur AND human mom! Yep! We are due July 16th and couldn't be happier!


I'm currently 14 weeks along and to be honest, it's been a ROCKY first trimester. I was diagnosed with "Hyperemesis Gravadarum", which is just fancy doctor lingo for "really sucky morning sickness that lasts all day, every day and makes you want to curl in the fetal position". Personally, I think my name for it is much better but whatever. We'll shorten it to HG. Soooo yeah... it was all good until 6 weeks, and then it hit me like a rock. Nausea, aversions to any food or liquids, puking... let's just say I'm now BFFs with the Porcelain God. I actually ended up in the hospital overnight at one point for extreme dehydration. Yikes. Can't wait to get that bill.
The doctors try to reassure you that morning sickness is a sign of a healthy pregnancy, but at the time, it doesn't really help. My life from week 6 till just a few days ago was pretty much lying in bed, or lying on the bathroom floor. Thank goodness I have a job where I work remotely. And during those several weeks, by "remotely" I mean from bed. I cannot imagine having to get up each morning and go sit at a desk all day. To all you mommas out there who had HG (or morning sickness in general) and went to work every day, you're a damn rock star. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

After my hospital visit they sent me home with nausea meds that kind of helped, but I still felt like poop most of the time. It wasn't until about a week ago when I switched meds that things started looking up. I'm not sure if it was because I was nearing the end of the first trimester, or if this drug is literally magic, but I felt human again. Hallelujah! I still have off days but I'm hoping if I stick with my meds I can have a happy pregnancy.

So here I am. 14 weeks and finally starting to see a baby bump (I think... for all I know it's still 95% bloat). Eek! So I thought it would be fun to start a little blog tradition to document. This won't be a weekly thing because ain't nobody got time for that. But I think a monthly "bumpdate" would be fun to look back on. So here we go!


How far along? 14 weeks. Hello second trimester!

Total weight gain: -27 pounds. Yeah, you read that right. I've actually LOST almost 30 pounds from being so sick. Granted, I had some "fluff" to lose, but woah now. My doctor isn't too worried. Though she would certainly like to see me gain back some of it. We shall see :-P

Maternity clothes? Nope. I did buy a pair of maternity jeans because they were on sale over the holidays. But because I work remotely and from home a lot, my normal wardrobe could be considered "athleisure". Yoga pants and a cute top are my go-to and so far I fit just fine into everything. Thank you, spandex.

Stretch marks? Not yet, but I know they'll be here soon. I scar very easily and even keloid. Fun times. I'll be using lotion and oils to try and lessen any marks, but either way, I'll proudly wear my tiger stripes.

Sleep: You guys. I recently bought a Snoogle pillow and Oh. My. Gawd. It's legit like spooning a cloud. I don't know how I ever lived without this magical pillow. I don't care if you're preggo, ya need one of these. Mike is slightly perturbed and feels replaced by said pillow, but momma's gotta sleep.

Gender: Too early to tell. We decided against the genetic testing which would tell us as early as 10 weeks. Though every old wives tale is pointing to us having a girl. Pregnancy acne (ugh), morning sickness, a 171 heart rate at our 9 week ultrasound, and there is actually a crazy tradition (tradition? probably not the right word) in my family... Every first born of a first born is a girl. I'm the first born of my mom, who was the first born of her mom, who was the first born of her mom. And so on and so on for at least 6 generations that we know of. Even before I knew about that I had a gut feeling that it was going to be a girl. I've always wanted to have a boy first because growing up I always wished I had had an older brother. And of course Mike would be more comfortable with a boy. But the signs all point to pink! Either way, she's playing hockey :-P

Best moment this month: Ummmm, probably the first day I DIDN'T puke. Though hearing the little nugget's heartbeat at our 12 week checkup was pretty rad. It's crazy to think there's a tiny human growing inside me. Grow, baby, grow!

Food cravings/aversions? Absolutely no cravings. In fact food in general still kind of grosses me out. I eat mostly raw fruits and veggies and on occasion can stomach a few bites of whatever Mike puts in front of me. I have a huge aversion to any kind of meat, but mostly chicken and turkey. Baby is apparently a vegetarian. 

Missing anything? You know, I really thought I would miss wine and beer. Not going to lie, I was quite the wino before. But in all honesty, I really don't. When we go to bars I just have our bartender make me a mocktail and all is well!

Movement? Nope, still too early for that. Most first timers don't feel anything until well after 14 weeks. But I can't wait!

Belly button in or out? That's tricky... I have an outie to begin with. But it's no more "popped" than normal so I guess the answer is "in"?

Wedding rings on or off? On. I wear a Qalo ring so I'll probably keep it on for a really long time since it's made of silicone. I feel neked without my ring and even wear it when rock climbing or working out.

Workouts? I haven't worked out since about week 5 because the morning sickness hit. But I'm starting back up now with my aerial yoga and personal trainer at the gym for weight training. I also plan to start prenatal yoga just for fun and to meet some more preggers in the community :)

Looking forward to: that second trimester energy everyone talks about. Woof. I take a nap every day and still don't have the energy to do anything around the house. And then I'm in bed by 9. Will it ever end?

* * * * *

And to wrap this month up, I shall leave you with the picture we posted to Facebook over the holidays announcing the pregnancy :) We joked that the "Affourtit Zoo" will be adding a new exhibit come July. We can't wait to see how our fur-kids react to the new playmate being added to the pack. 




No comments

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to know what you think!
-Allison